Saturday, March 22, 2014

Day 58: T+58

Eric didn't get to sleep until 2:30 because of the scan. At 4am he asked for some medicine to help him sleep better. He varied between bloody stools and ones that looked closer to something normal through the night. 

10 am they had him do another red blood cell scan to see if they could see an active bleed. 

(When he got back they had given us a bigger room):

He had a few moments of peace and during it one of his favorite movies was on:

12pm it was decided that the bleed was probably coming from his lower GI and to have a colonoscopy to have a look. The colonoscopy found no bleeding, and good healing from the biopsy sites from the last colonoscopy. 

Since he was already sedated for the colonoscopy and there was no sign of an active bleed it was decided to do an endoscopy. The doctor easily went in with the small scope first and found two sites that looked like they were the culprits of bleeding. At the time he did the endoscopy there was no active bleed. He attempted to fit the instruments through the scope that would help him put a clip on each of the sites. None of the instruments would fit down the smallest scope. He then attempted using a larger scope (the one he used AFTER dialating Eric's esophagus last endoscopy) but it wouldn't fit. The doctor didn't want to force it in fear that he would perforate Eric's esophagus. Perforation of the esophagus is life threatening, even to a perfectly healthy person. 

So that was done, he went for his first walk around the ICU unit and had a much earned sleep. 

This boy is totally sleep deprived. Not to mention his body feels yanked in every direction.  He can't get comfortable. 

Please pray for him to be comfortable. Pray that he may be able to rest. Pray that this bleeding may stop. If the bleeding can stop for 72 consecutive hours we can feel pretty confident that it's healed. Pray that Eric may be granted periods of peace away from worrying. 

We are waiting to see what the next plan of action is if the bleeding returns. 

I love you so much, Eric! I'm not going anywhere and I'll keep fighting along with you. I believe in miracles and know that our Father in Heaven is watching over you. He can give you (us!) the miracle we need. Who knows what that miracle is now, but let's keep looking for it together. Here's to another day on this journey we call life! Thanks for being a wonderful husband and friend. Best friend in fact. Best friends for life and eternity!!

Jamie 

No comments:

Post a Comment